Why Be a Mentor?
For just a few hours a couple of times a month, you can help a child succeed. Big Brothers Big Sisters is different from other mentoring organizations in that we seek volunteers who are committed and consistent, willing to serve at least a year, but we hope until a child graduates high school. Studies show that by doing so, our mentoring services help kids stay in school, avoid risky behaviour, and experience first-hand the importance of helping others in their community. You can mentor in our Community, In-School, Game on, Go Girls or Play on Programs.
Professional staff is there to work with you, the child and the family throughout the course of the mentoring relationship to provide necessary training and support. allows us to carefully make and support more matches. Sometimes, the supply of volunteers and kids is greater than the necessary agency funding. We are grateful for your willingness to be involved and while it is certainly not a requirement, we welcome you to also become a donor – as you volunteer or wait to be matched.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
Each year Big Brothers Big Sisters of CVI hosts a variety of Big and Little events and fundraising events, and we rely heavily on our volunteers to make these events a huge success.
Third Party Events
There is no limit to creativity when brainstorming ideas for successful third party events. Engage your creative resources and encourage your team to think BIG! We rely on the generous support and dedication of the many individuals and corporations who support our fundraising efforts through third party events. Your fundraising efforts will help us ensure that every child we serve has the ability to fulfill their potential. Consider helping us to make a significant impact in the life of child today
Volunteer Opportunities in our agency
You can also volunteer other of roles in our agency such as:
- Joining the Board or a Committee
- Helping in Administration or Reception
- Helping in our Bulk Clothing Department
Online Mentor Application
You can apply to be a mentor in any of our programs by clicking the button below and filling out the form. Please note that three references are required.
How it Works
How The Volunteering Process Works
The order of the steps in the application and assessment process can vary from agency to agency, but the following is a general overview of the process. You, the volunteer applicant:
- Completes an application with our agency. (Our Mentor Application as Fillable PDF)
- Submits a vulnerable sector screen, criminal records check, and three references
- Participates in a one-to-one interview with a staff member at the Big Brothers Big Sisters agency
- Depending on the program, may be asked to participate in an assessment of their home environment
- Successfully completes an orientation and child safety training
- Is notified of their acceptance/non-acceptance
- If accepted as a volunteer mentor, signs an agreement of confidentiality
The Matching Process
Similar to the application and assessment process, the matching process can vary from agency to agency and from program to program, but in general:
- The caseworker, now familiar with the volunteer and the children and youth waiting to be matched, discusses a potential match with the volunteer, the child or youth, and, depending on the program, with the family
- The caseworker arranges for a meeting between the child or youth, the volunteer mentor, and often the parent or guardian
If everyone agrees, the match can begin!
VOLUNTEER inquiry form
Please provide your basic information and we will forward it to the agency for follow up